Monday, July 22, 2013

Week 7: The Bees Knees

Friday night, I came home and crashed hard. It had been an exhausting week and I really needed the down time. Plus, the weekend was going to be busy.

Saturday, I cleaned up in the morning, and then headed out to Prince George’s Plaza to grab lunch with a mission friend, Rebecca Carver. It was so good to see her. I thought she was so cool on the mission and she was so sarcastic and funny, it was great. She ended up marrying and American and is now living out here. It is amazing how many people live out in this area. I am more popular than I thought.

Saturday night, I headed out to Alexandria, Virginia to help the city celebrate its birthday! Julie and I decided to walk around the city a bit before heading to the party. We grabbed dinner at the Fish Market. We got crab stuffed avocado for an appetizer and then split the salmon plate for dinner. It was the perfect amount of food. We got to the park for the party, just before it started to pour. Luckily, they had built little rain shelters, so we stood under the rain shelters for maybe 15 minutes before the rain cleared up and we headed back out for the party.

They gave us free cupcakes! The symphony played while they shot off fireworks, and they also fired the cannons. It was really cool. However, the highlight was a little boy named Oliver. He was about 18 months old, and he came up to Julie and started sitting in her lap. Oliver’s mom came up to fetch him, but we were okay with it. The family ended up moving their picnic blanket up next to ours and we spent a good chunk of the evening playing with him. He really liked touching my knees for some reason and pretty soon he was hugging Julie and me and sitting on our laps. He was so adorable. Okay, mother nature, I am getting the baby memo.

The rest of the weekend was pretty relaxed. And Monday started another week! I continued my work at NIST, which I would write about each week. It can be read here. The sad news, was that on Tuesday, I broke my computer. I was working on it while I was sitting on my bed, and I set my computer down a little too close to the edge, and when I went to get up, it fell off the bed. The good news, is that the computer functions just fine, however, the screen is completely ruined. So, I have been looking into whether I want to buy a new computer or just buy a new screen.


This next weekend should be exciting because my cousin, Becca, flies in on Friday night!

No comments: